The Main Street of Ledgewood, New Jersey
Then and Now
|The old Three Musketeers House was built by some local eccentrics. New owners demolished it in 1989 before the historical society could intervene - homeowners said the blasting threw good-sized rocks all over the neighborhood. The stone pillars still remain but are covered with vegetation. This area is across the street from the old parsonage.|
|This is the half-way point of Main Street, the
intersection with Emmans Road. The photo is from a 1920 postcard.
Goldy Emmans' garage is on the right. In the 1930s this was the main
highway into Newark. Around this period a woman left the church and
crossed the street, only to be killed by a car. The construction of
Route 46 one block on the left took much of the traffic off of Main
Street, though we still provide a convenient short cut during rush hour.
The 2006 photo still shows the Dean house with the low wall bordering the street on the left and the church farther down on the left.
|The Red Cross float for the 1917 Gala Day parade was
popular with the photographers. Here, it turns from Main Street onto
Emmans Road. The Rock Spring Hotel burned down in the 1920s; legend
has it that an illegal still in the basement blew up.
The barn became Emman's Garage and is now a sign factory. The Brady family lives in the home that peeks behind the "nurses." Ledgewood Brook runs underneath the road where the wagon is.
|The congregation is its finest attire for Dedication Day.
The church cost around $15,000 to finish. The man in the middle of
the doorway is H. K. Salmon. Church lore has it that Rev. Earle told
H. K. that God had put it on his heart to build a fine new sanctuary.
H. K. responded, "What does that have to do with me?" Earle: "And
God wants you to write the check for it." He did, with a little help
from Gala Day and peanut earnings. Small kids collected stones from
local fields to build the church; the last child died in the late 1990s.
The new version was taken in 1990. Our congregation is larger than it was in 1917 and still growing.
|The is the Riggs home at the bottom of Main Street.
The area is now a special historical district. The 1917 photo shows
the Baby Parade participants resting after their two-block trek.